Operations, accountability, compliance, funding – providing audit and accounting services for government entities goes beyond just finances. You need added value like education, resources, policy recommendations or identifying possible areas at risk for fraud. Our specialists have been providing professional services and value to the government accounting industry since 1957.
Our Government Accountants and Partners
Our professionals work solely on government audits, so you know your audit team is up to speed and focused on everything that impacts your entity. They have more than 60 years’ combined experience providing government accounting services and regularly exceed the CPE requirements of Government Auditing Standards. Our clients have a 100% success rate receiving the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association.
Your auditors are actively involved in the organizations that matter to you including:
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Arizona Association of School Business Officials
- Arizona Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Government Finance Officers Association
- Government Finance Officers Association of Arizona
Our government partners and in-charge CPAs serve on the GFOA CAFR special review committee and have also served as a reviewer for the Association of School Business Officials International. Henry+Horne is a member of the AICPA’s Government Audit Quality Center and the Division for CPA Firms.
Government Audit and Accounting Services
From audit and accounting requirements to reviews and expenditures, you have a lot to keep up with when running your government entity. Our government team can provide all the services you need while also serving as a valuable resource.
If you run a small government organization, you may not have the budget to support an accounting staff and need to outsource accounting services. Our government specialists are ready to work with you and can provide monthly, quarterly or annual accounting services.
- Updated public debt disclosure requirements
- Why is the government so slow? Expectations vs. reality
- Governments capitalizing interest, a thing of the past
Government audits are more than simply identifying what is and isn’t working for you to stay compliant. It’s a valuable tool that can help your government entity run effectively and efficiently. Our professionals specialize in many types of government audits.
- Auditors get audited too?
- The benefits of timely financial reporting
- Digital modernization, government and audits
- Auditee requirements under Uniform Guidance related to audit findings
Government Review Services
Are your internal controls up to par? Maybe it’s time for an external review for the Arizona court you work for. Our government professionals have the extensive industry knowledge and skills to provide the review services you need to stay compliant.
Internal Control Structure Review
Governments don’t always have the budget to support a large enough accounting staff that will allow for proper segregation of duties and internal controls. This can greatly increase your risk of fraud. Our professionals know the ins and outs of how government entities work and can identify internal control problems, offer solutions, and make recommendations to enhance your controls.
- Is segregations of duties really important?
- New caller ID spoofing and phone spear phishing alert!
- Quiz time: Are you furthering your expertise?
The professional services our CPAs specialize in for school districts include USFR Compliance Questionnaire audits. They have audited many school districts including Joint Technological Education Districts (JTED) and public and charter schools ranging from over 35,000 total average daily memberships to 200 total average daily memberships.
School Compliance Audits
Education is so important for helping the next generation succeed, but schools are facing issues today that make it difficult to meet the needs of students, faculty and staff. You need a team of government accounting specialists to help you meet the required rules and regulations while also finding solutions to the problems you’re facing such as:
- Freeing up funds for other expenses with a cost-effective audit approach
- Minimizing compliance stress with training and recommendations to improve any audit findings
- Minimizing the time required of your personnel during the audit and delivering faster, quality results
- Providing knowledge and guidance on how your district is specifically impacted by changing rules and regulations with complimentary education through our Resource Center
- Arizona school district audit updates
- Changes impacting debt issues for government entities
- New fiduciary fund accounting: are you prepared?
Government accounting compliance can be tricky. If you need a guiding hand, we’re here to offer you one. Our consulting service will take the guess work out of:
- Capital asset reconciliations
- Inventory counts and reconciliations
- Cash reconciliations
- Accounts receivable
- Revenue grant accounting
- Payroll reconciliations
Every finance department dreads the idea of fraud occurring on their watch. The accounting department may not be able to avoid the pressures or rationalization; however, there are subtle ways to help mitigate the opportunity. All individuals should stay abreast of current schemes to avoid the same thing happening to their own department. We can help identify those areas for improvement.
- Popular government fraud schemes
- Government fraud: a $6.7M million scheme
- All the Queen’s Horses, fraud in Dixon, IL
- Phishing vs spear phishing – don’t get scammed
- How companies can prevent, detect fraud from the inside
Other Special Reports
We have great knowledge in the vast areas of government. There may be a court audit or Expenditure Limitation report, or even something you have never heard of. But take comfort in knowing we can help you. We have experience in various other areas that may need special reporting or just extra attention. We can help.
Every three years Arizona courts are required to have a licensed CPA firm perform an external review of the court to make sure that the court is complying with the minimum accounting standards established by the Arizona Supreme Court. Our professionals can ensure you’re complying with those standards by reviewing:
- Accounting records
- Automated financial management system records
- Internal controls
Expenditure Limitation (AELR)
The Arizona Constitution sets an expenditure limitation on various political subdivisions in the state such as counties, cities, towns and community college districts. For your subdivision to meet compliance, you must file an annual expenditure limitation report along with your audited financial statements. Our professionals can help make sure your AELR is correct and properly reported to the Auditor General.
- South Dakota vs Wayfair: landmark sales tax decision
- Recording prepayments and immaterial inventory supplies
With all the technical knowledge out there, we have to stop and consider general everyday tasks that might need our attention too. When it comes to planning your audit, daily meetings or general efficiencies that could help improve the daily flow of your department, there is advice everywhere. We continue to attend conferences and workshops to help improve our own efficiencies that we love to share with our clients.