What you need to give your CPA to prepare your 2019 tax return

Your Guide to State, Local, Federal, Estate + International Taxation

What is needed for taxes is situational. A college student may only have a W-2 form while others will receive 1099 forms, depending on the type of income they receive. It is important to know what forms and documents to give your CPA to have the process be efficient.

Don’t miss: key changes to 2019 Arizona tax returns

Types of Deductions

  • Home Ownership
    • Forms 1098 or Mortgage interest statements
    • Real estate and personal Property tax records
    • Receipts for energy saving home improvements
  • Charitable Donations
  • Medical Expenses
    • Only if they total more than 7.5% of adjusted gross income
  • Health Insurance
    • Form 1095-A
  • Childcare Expenses
  • Educational Expenses
    • Forms 1098-T
    • Form 1098-E
    • Total qualifying expenses
    • Records of scholarships received
  • K-12 Educator Expenses
    • Receipts for classroom expenses
  • State and Local Taxes
  • Retirement and Other Savings
    • Form 5498-SA
    • All other 5498 forms

For starters, your personal information is needed. This includes social security numbers and full names for your spouse and all dependents being claimed in the current year along with other basic information like your address.


Sources of Income 

  • Employed
    • Form W-2
  • Self-Employed
    • Forms 1099
    • All expenses
    • Estimated tax payments
  • Rental Income
    • Income and expenses records
  • Retirement Income
    • 1099-R
    • 1099-SSA, RRB-1099
    • Traditional IRA Basis
  • Savings and Investments or Dividends
    • 1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV
    • 1099-B, 1099-S
    • 1099-SA or 1099-LTC
    • Virtual Currency
  • Other Income and Losses
    • Schedule K-1
    • 1099-G
    • 1099-Q for 529 plan withdrawals
    • 1099-MISC
    • W-2G for gambling income

What is listed above will not apply to everyone, but it is good to review this list and give what you have to your CPA. If in doubt, contact your friendly tax preparer at Henry+Horne with any questions.

Natalie Hunt