Tax Insights

Your Guide to State, Local, Federal, Estate + International Taxation

Recently moved? Update your address with the IRS.

As COVID-19 swept across the county, and even the world in 2020, it brought with it many changes that we would all need to adapt to. One of the most significant effects of the pandemic has been the spike in demand for housing across the country. In fact, one poll found that 56% of Americans plan to move in 2021, compared to only 35% in 2020. If you have either moved or plan to move in the coming months, it is important to update your address with the IRS.

Don’t miss: The Taxpayer Advocate confirms it was a tough year at the IRS

To update your address with the IRS, simply fill out form 8822 and send it to the appropriate IRS center. This same form is used to for individual tax returns as well as gift, estate or generation-skipping transfer tax returns. The instructions on page 2 will help you determine which IRS center you should file with, which is based on the address you recently moved from. Likewise, be sure to file the necessary form with your state Department of Revenue. For Arizonans, use form 822 from the Arizona Department of Revenue’s website.

If your business has a new address, this should be reported directly to the IRS by completing IRS form 8822-b. Like form 8822 previously mentioned, you will be asked to provide basic information, including your old address and your new address. You can also change a spouse’s address with the same form.

Likewise, Arizona businesses can update their mailing address by going to and either updating an existing account or creating a new account. After logging in, simply click “accounts” and “account update.” Once the necessary changes have been made, you will be required to sign using your PIN number which was selected during the registration process. New business locations will then receive a new copy of their licenses within three to five business days.

Keep in mind, not all post offices will forward government issued checks on to a temporary forwarding address. This is especially important for parents who may be receiving advanced payments on their 2021 child tax credits, as outlined in the American Rescue Plan.

If you have any questions, please contact your Henry+Horne advisor. For more information and resources on COVID-19, see our coronavirus page.

Christopher Cluff