In IR-2016-56, the IRS announced a new tax payment option for individual taxpayers who need to pay their taxes with cash. In partnership with ACI Worldwide’s OfficialPayments.com and the PayNearMe Company, individuals can now make a payment without the need of a bank account or credit card at over 7,000 7-Eleven stores nationwide.
Individuals wishing to take advantage of this payment option should visit the IRS.gov payments page, select the cash option in the other ways you can pay section and follow the instructions:
- Taxpayers will receive an email from OfficialPayments.com confirming their information.
- Once the IRS has verified the information, PayNearMe sends the taxpayer an email with a link to the payment code and instructions.
- Individuals may print the payment code provided or send it to their smart phone, along with a list of the closest 7-Eleven stores.
- The retail store provides a receipt after accepting the cash and the payment usually posts to the taxpayer’s account within two business days.
- There is a $1,000 payment limit per day and a $3.99 fee per payment.
Because PayNearMe involves a three-step process, the IRS urges taxpayers choosing this option to start the process well ahead of the tax deadline to avoid interest and penalty charges.
In this new option, PayNearMe is currently available at participating 7-Eleven stores in 34 states. Most stores are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For details about PayNearMe, the IRS offers a list of frequently asked questions on IRS.gov.
The IRS reminds individuals without the need to pay in cash that IRS Direct Pay offers the fastest and easiest way to pay the taxes they owe. Available at IRS.gov/Payments/Direct-Pay, this free, secure online tool allows taxpayers to pay their income tax directly from a checking or savings account without any fees or pre-registration.
Check IRS.gov/payments for the most current information about making a tax payment.
The IRS reminds taxpayers to watch out for email schemes. Taxpayers will only receive an email from OfficialPayments.com or PayNearMe if they have initiated the payment process.
Melinda Nelson, CPA