The IRS gave large employers a Christmas present by automatically extending the due date of the ACA 2015 Forms 1094 & 1095 which were due in early 2016.
The Affordable Care Act requires applicable large employers to file:
- Form 1094-C, Transmittal of Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage Information Returns and
- Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage
The IRS has automatically extended the due dates to file the 2015 Forms 1094 & 1095:
- The due date for furnishing the 2015 Form 1095-B and the 2015 Form 1095-C to the insured and employees is extended from February 1, 2016, to March 31, 2016.
- The due date for health coverage providers and employers furnishing the 2015 Form 1094-B and the 2015 Form 1094-C to the IRS is extended from February 29, 2016, to May 31, 2016 if not filing electronically.
- The due date for health coverage providers and employers to file the 2015 Form 1094-B and the 2015 Form 1094-C with the IRS is extended from March 31, 2016, to June 30, 2016 if filing electronically.
The IRS is prepared to accept the forms beginning in January 2016 and encourages employers to furnish statements and file the information returns as soon as they are ready so employees can use the forms in preparing their 2015 individual tax returns.
Contact your Henry & Horne professional tax adviser for more information.
By Melinda Nelson, CPA