How to use the IRS’s Identity Verification Service

Your Guide to State, Local, Federal, Estate + International Taxation

In an effort to tamp down on fraud, the Internal Revenue Service has repeatedly reminded Americans it will never contact taxpayers by telephone. When the IRS needs to talk to you, it will send you a letter, directing you to call a telephone number or log in online. Now, the agency has gone a step further with its Identity Verification Service. The service is used to verify the identity of taxpayers when the IRS believes that taxpayer is a victim of identity theft.

Don’t miss: Is increased cryptocurrency regulation on the horizon?

If the IRS suspects you’re the victim of identity theft, it will send you a letter (4883C, 5071C, 5447C, 5747C, 6330C, and 6331C) asking you to verify your identity. You can do this online, by phone or in-person. If you receive letter 4883C or 6330C, you must call the IRS to verify your identity.

If you received letter 5071C, 5747C, 6331C or 5447C and your financial and phone information is in the U.S. you can verify your identity online using the Identity Verification Service. If your information is not U.S. based or you don’t have all the documentation needed to verify online, you can call the IRS number on the letter and verify over the phone.

If the IRS can’t verify your identity over the phone, you may need to visit your local IRS office to verify your identity in person.

You’ll need to register to use the Identity Verification Service. To register and verify your identity, you’ll need account numbers from a credit card, mortgage, student loan, home loan or car loan. You’ll also need the letter the IRS sent you, a phone number associated with your name, your mailing address from your previous years’ taxes, and your tax return from the year cited on the IRS letter.

If you filed your most recent tax return with a new address, enter the old address from the previous return, even though it’s not your current address. If you filed your first tax return, choose “I have not filed a tax return in the past seven years” as your filing status.

Please contact your Henry+Horne advisor with any questions. Also, routinely change your passwords and monitor your credit and banking accounts. Also, learn more about the opt-in identification protection PIN.

Beth Hawley