Did you receive a refund that did not belong to you or was not the right amount? Whether it was a check or directly deposited, here is what to do to return it. In regard to stimulus payment checks, if you received one in error, the IRS has not set out guidelines on what the repayment methods are.
If your refund was a paper check and has not been cashed:
- Write “Void” on the back of the check
- Submit the check immediately and send to the appropriate IRS location listed below, which is based on the city on the bottom text line in front of the words “Tax Refund” on the check.
- Include a note stating, “Return of erroneous refund check” and provide an explanation as to why the refund check is being returned.
If your refund was a paper check and has been cashed:
- Submit a personal check immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
- Write on the check: Payment of Erroneous Refund, the tax period for when the refund was issued and your social security number, employer identification number, or individual taxpayer identification number.
- Include an explanation of the reason the refund is being returned.
- Cashing an erroneous refund check may result in interest due from the IRS.
If your refund was a direct deposit:
- Contact the Automated Clearing House department of your respective bank/financial institution where the direct deposit was received and have them return the refund to the IRS.
- Contact the IRS toll free at 800-8299-1040 to explain why the direct deposit is being returned.
Here are the multiple IRS locations the refund check can be returned to based on the city on the bottom text line of the refund check.
- ANDOVER – Internal Revenue Service, 310 Lowell Street, Andover MA 01810
- ATLANTA – Internal Revenue Service, 4800 Buford Highway, Chamblee GA 30341
- AUSTIN – Internal Revenue Service, 3651 South Interregional Highway 35, Austin TX 78741
- BRKHAVN – Internal Revenue Service, 5000 Corporate Ct., Holtsville NY 11742
- CNCNATI – Internal Revenue Service, 201 West Rivercenter Blvd., Covington KY 41011
- FRESNO – Internal Revenue Service, 5045 East Butler Avenue, Fresno CA 93727
- KANS CY – Internal Revenue Service, 333 W. Pershing Road, Kansas City MO 64108-4302
- MEMPHIS – Internal Revenue Service, 5333 Getwell Road, Memphis TN 38118
- OGDEN – Internal Revenue Service, 1973 Rulon White Blvd., Ogden UT 84201
- PHILA – Internal Revenue Service, 2970 Market St., Philadelphia PA 19104
If you have any questions or need assistance, please reach out to your CPA at Henry+Horne. For more information on how Henry+Horne can help you with your tax needs, check out our Accounting Services page.