How to e-file an amended tax return

Your Guide to State, Local, Federal, Estate + International Taxation

After filing your tax return you may find you’ve made an error when gathering your information, or a misplaced a document just turned up. Don’t stress. This is a common enough occurrence that the IRS has now made it easier to e-file an amended return.

Don’t miss: Business meal deduction 2022 – what you should know

The IRS recently announced forms 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, Forms 1040-SS, U.S. Self-Employment Tax Return (Including the Additional Child Tax Credit for Bona Fide Residents of Puerto Rico) and Forms 1040-PR, Self-Employment Tax Return – Puerto Rico can be e-filed.

While  electronically filing amended returns is still quite new (introduced in 2020), this new feature will further help taxpayers and tax community alike. This feature will greatly help the IRS and their continued issues with backlogs.

The IRS also added a new checkbox on Forms 1040/1040-SR, 1040-NR and 1040-SS/1040-PR for superseded returns to indicate that the form is being filed electronically. If you are unsure if your return is an amended return or a superseded return please check out this blog post written by one of my colleagues.

There are millions of Forms 1040-X filed every year. If a taxpayer is wondering where their return is they can use this tracker to check on the status online, Where’s My Amended Return?

Forms 1040 and 1040-SR can still be amended electronically for tax years 2019, 2020 and 2021 along with amended Form 1040-NR and corrected Forms 1040-SS and Form 1040-PR for tax year 2021.  In general, taxpayers still have the option to submit a paper version of the Form 1040-X and should follow the instructions for preparing and submitting the paper form.

The IRS will continue looking into this area, and hopefully we will see many more enhancements added in the future to make the process even easier. If you have any questions, please contact your Henry+Horne advisor.

Haylee Coleman

Get in on the conversation.

Unfortunately, we cannot give free advice to non-clients by email, comment response, or phone call. Thank you! Read our disclaimer.