Going to the Chapel… Wedding Tax Tips

Your Guide to State, Local, Federal, Estate + International Taxation

Planning that big wedding this summer? While taxes may not be high on your list of things to do before you walk down the aisle, be aware of the tax issues that come along with your marriage.

Name change: The name and Social Security number on your tax return must match your Social Security Administration records. If you change your name, report it to the SSA. To do that, file Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. You can get the form at SSA.gov, or call 800-772-1213, or stop by your local SSA office.

Tax withholding: A change in your marital status means you must give you employer a new Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. If you and your spouse both work, your combined incomes may move you into a higher tax bracket. Use the IRS withholding calculator tool at IRS.gov to help complete your new Form W-4.

Health Insurance Premium Tax Credit: If you receive advance payment of the Premium Tax Credit this year, it is important that you report changes in circumstances, such as change in your income or family size, to your Health Insurance Marketplace. You should also notify the Marketplace when you move out of the area covered by your current Marketplace plan.

Address change: Let the IRS know if your address changes. To do this, file Form 8822, Change of Address, with the IRS. You should also notify the U.S. Postal Service. This can be done online at USPS.com to forward your mail or report the change to your local post office.

Change in filing status: If you are married as of December 31, you are married for the entire year for tax purposes. You and your spouse can choose to file your federal income tax return either jointly or separately each year. You may want to figure the tax both ways to find out which status results in the lowest tax.

If you are a same-sex married couple and legally married in a state or country that recognizes same-sex marriage, you generally must file as married on your federal tax return. This is true even if you and your spouse later live in a state or country that does not recognize same-sex marriage. See IRS.gov for more information on this topic.

By Pamela Wheeler, EA