Tax Insights

Your Guide to State, Local, Federal, Estate + International Taxation

Filing an Amended Return

If there has been an error on your tax return that has already been filed, there’s a way to fix that! An amended return (Form 1040-X) can be used to correct several errors such as incorrect income, missed credits or incorrect deductions on your personal tax return. Small clerical errors are normally caught by the IRS, so returns do not need to be amended for that reason.

Don’t miss: The Importance of Basis Tracking

Below are some common items to note when amending a return.

  • Amended returns can now be electronically filed using a tax software for the years 2019 and forward.
  • If you prefer not to or cannot electronically file the form, it can still be paper filed. Paper filed returns do take longer to process.
  • If paper filing the return, look at the Form 1040-X instructions on where to mail the return and related information.
  • If your amended return is in response to an IRS notice, make sure to attach a copy of the notice to the return.
  • Attach all forms and schedules affected by the change to the amended return.
  • If you are amending multiple years, a 1040-X will need to be filed for each year and mailed in separately.
  • Do not file an amended return until your original return has been processed. You will know if the return has been processed if you have received your refund (if tax was overpaid) or if your check has cleared (if tax was due).
  • If you have an amount due from the amended return, pay it as soon as possible to limit penalties and interest.
  • If claiming a refund on the amended return, the return needs to be filed within three years from the date the original return was filed or two years from the date the tax was paid, whichever is later.
  • After mailing the amended the return, if you are receiving a refund, you can track the status of the refund

If you have any questions on whether or not you should be filing an amended return or how to move forward on getting one filed, feel free to contact a Henry + Horne tax professional.

KC Kolb, CPA