The holidays have wrapped up and the new year has begun. It’s time to start thinking about filing your tax return. The individual income tax filing season has officially opened in the state of Arizona. Technology has allowed for tax filing to be much more simplified. Now you can file on the Arizona Department of Revenue website. They even have free filing software available with instruction booklets. E-filing reduces errors and the potential for tax fraud. Per the IRS, last tax filing season 83 percent of 3.4 million income tax return were e-filed.
Some tips suggested by the IRS to avoid delays:
- E-file and designate any refund for direct deposit to your bank.
- Ensure all the necessary lines and forms are filled out properly. Avoid math errors or miscalculations.
- Don’t misspell names or use two different names.
- Make sure key information like your tax ID number, Social Security number, routing number or account number are correct in all the appropriate boxes.
- Double-check to ensure you have all the information and supporting documentation.
- If filing a paper return, use black ink and print on white paper.
- Don’t forget to sign and date your return
The following are a few examples of the free software that is available:
- Free File Alliance: Offers free tax return filing to people who meet certain criteria. Visit https://azdor.gov/e-services/free-electronic-filing-individuals.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA): Offers free tax help to people who make less than $56,000, persons with disabilities and limited English-speaking taxpayers. Visit irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers.
- AARP Foundation Tax-Aid: Offers free assistance to individuals 50 and older who cannot afford tax preparation services to file both federal and Arizona returns. Visit aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide.
- For more options of available software visit the Arizona Department of Revenue website.
Don’t wait, get your federal and state tax return filed and have one less thing to worry about. As always, your Henry+Horne tax adviser is a phone call away if you need help.