There is an “above-the-line” deduction for health insurance premiums for those that are considered self-employed. (By the way, this is self-employed as defined by the IRS, not by mortgage brokers, who appear to have a different definition.) The deduction is … read more
We will continue our discussion on the other three provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act effective in 2013. In Part I, we discussed the increase in the Medicare tax on high-income taxpayers. Here we will be discussing … read more
Now that the Supreme Court has ruled that the Health Care Act (now known as the Affordable Care Act) has been declared constitutional except for the part that punishes states by eliminating existing Medicaid funding, we can begin to look … read more
Since I will be turning 65 in September, I will not be eligible to participate in my employer’s Health Savings Account effective September 1st. Therefore, I need to sign up for Medicare to provide my medical insurance coverage. It is … read more
There is nothing more complex than the world of taxes. We know this and yet we chose careers where we face these issues everyday. We get questions day in and day out about new tax laws, forms and news items and how they affect everyday people and businesses. Well, here at Henry & Horne, LLP we have set out to do what we do best; help everyday people understand what is going on in the world of state, local, federal, estate and international taxation. We will provide these weekly posts and we encourage you to give us feedback on those posts as well as letting us know what else you would like to know more about. Welcome to "Tax Insights." We hope you find this blog informative and worthy of your time.
Before posting a comment on a blog post please be aware that we do not give free tax advice to non-clients by email, comment response, or phone. Thank you!
- The IRS Now has a Mobile App for You
- The Benefits of an Estate Plan for Your College-Age Children
- Minnesota CPAs’ List of Outrageous Tax Deductions
- Taxation of Professional Athletes: The Jock Tax
- Home Interest Deduction – Even When It’s Not in Your Name
- The IRS Says You’re No Longer Represented by Your CPA
- Marital Status? For Some LGBTQ Couples, It’s Complicated
- Need Help with Finding Tax Information?
- Save on Taxes While Growing Your Business
- New IRS Publication Helps You Understand the Affordable Care Act