The 2010 U.S. Census has begun. If a census worker comes to your door protect yourself by remembering these facts (provided by the Better Business Bureau):
- U.S. Census workers will have a badge, a handheld device and a confidentiality notice in their possession.
- Always ask to see their identification and badge before answering any questions.
- Do not invite anyone you do not know into your home.
- Currently, census workers are only verifying address information. Later workers may ask for GENERAL information regarding salary range etc. They will NOT ask for specific information. DO NOT give them Social Security numbers or credit card or banking information.
- Census workers may contact you by phone, mail or in person. They will NOT contact you by Email, so be on the lookout for any Email scams involving the U.S. Census. DO NOT click on any link or open any attachments impersonating the census.
- U.S. Census workers may not solicit donations.
The U.S. Census is an important data collecting exercise. Be cooperative but cautious!
Melinda Nelson, CPA