Tax Returns

Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State or Country

Keep your accountant on their toes and check your returns. You should always check your income tax returns before signing and ask your accountant about any questions you may have. Accountants are people too and mistakes do happen, so make … read more

Premium Tax Credit: File Before the Extension Deadline

Well, it’s mid-summer and many taxpayers who have filed an extension are still thinking they have all the time in the world until their October deadline comes. However, if you filed for an extension and also chose to have “advance … read more

Refunds for Certain Credits Delayed Next Filing Season

If you expect to claim either the Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Credit on your 2016 tax return, prepare for the possibility that you may need to wait for that refund longer than usual. In an effort to curb … read more

Tax Season: Overheard in the Hallways

So as another tax season comes to an end, I am going to share some memories of conversations overheard in the hallway, just as I was walking by. Obviously, these are just snippets of conversations, but show how patient we … read more

New Due Dates for Tax Returns – How Does This Affect You?

If you read about the due dates of all of the different types of tax returns changing, you are probably wondering how these changes affect you. If you have a C Corporation, the due date is pushed back to the … read more

New Due Dates for Tax Returns

Everyone buckle your seat belts… there are new due dates for tax returns coming! The last time there was a due date change, there were temporary and proposed regulations in 2008 reducing the extension from 6 months to 5 months … read more

Premium Tax Credit Brings Changes to Your 2014 Income Tax Return

When filing your 2014 federal income tax return, you will see some changes related to the Affordable Care Act. Millions of people who purchased their coverage through a health insurance Marketplace are eligible for premium assistance through the new premium … read more

IRS Announces Official Tax Season Start Date

Accountants across the country breathed a sigh of relief with the recent news that the 2015 filing season will begin on time. In fact, tax season will begin even earlier than anticipated. The IRS originally announced that it was planning … read more

Lose Your Wallet or Purse? Contact the Cops, Then the IRS

If you become a potential or actual victim of identity theft outside the tax system or believe you may be at risk due to a lost/stolen purse or wallet, questionable credit card activity or questionable activity on your credit report, … read more

Understanding Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses

Oftentimes employees will be asked to pay for job-related expenses out of pocket. Some companies have a reimbursement plan where the employee will submit an expense report with all necessary documentation (receipts, mileage log, etc.) and will receive a check … read more


There is nothing more complex than the world of taxes. We know this and yet we chose careers where we face these issues everyday. We get questions day in and day out about new tax laws, forms and news items and how they affect everyday people and businesses. Well, here at Henry & Horne we have set out to do what we do best; help everyday people understand what is going on in the world of state, local, federal, estate and international taxation. We will provide these weekly posts and we encourage you to give us feedback on those posts as well as letting us know what else you would like to know more about. Welcome to "Tax Insights." We hope you find this blog informative and worthy of your time.

Before posting a comment on a blog post please be aware that we do not give free tax advice to non-clients by email, comment response, or phone. Thank you!

Contact Us


Recent Posts