Tax Insights

Your Guide to State, Local, Federal, Estate + International Taxation

Amended Tax Returns – What is the Status?

If you have been perusing the instructions for the amended individual tax return (Form 1040X), you have probably seen something quite exciting.

What, you say?!  You have not looked at the instructions for Form 1040X?  Could that be because the instructions for Form 1040, which would always need to be filed first, were not posted to the IRS website until January 25, 2013?  Whereas, the instructions for Form 1040X, which is used when you need to correct a return that has already been filed with the IRS, were posted on January 13, 2013.

Anyway, the excitement.  Beginning in March 2013 (which will be here before we all realize it, I am sure), you can track the status of your amended return using a new web or toll-free application.

You will be able to go to and click on “Where’s My Amended Return?” or call 1-866-464-2050.  With either application, you will need to provide your taxpayer identification number (for most this is your social security number), you date of birth and your zip code.

This appears to be very similar to the older version of “Where’s My Refund?” which has been very useful on the IRS website for a number of years.  As mentioned in a post on January 15, 2013, this tool will be even more helpful this year (IRS Improves “Where’s My Refund?”)

While you probably do not want to amend your tax return, this new application to track the status can ease some concerns about the receipt of the amended return by the IRS.

By Donna H. Laubscher, CPA


  1. VICKIE says:

    I filed my taxes on Jan. 26th and mistake was made and I amended the very next day. Every time I call the 1-800 numbers or check their website, it states is has no record and check back. They say it takes up to 3 weeks to show and my return has been gone for 7 weeks.

    • admin says:


      While this can be frustrating, unfortunately there is no other way other than repeatedly calling or checking the online status.

    • Jonathan says:

      My information finally showed up and said they adjusted my return,
      and that they would send a “letter within three weeks explaining
      the adjustment. Does that mean I will or will not get a refund?


    • admin says:


      Thank you for your question. You would need to contact the IRS regarding your refund. In the event that you are receiving a refund, you can track it using the IRS tool “Where’s My Refund?”, which is available on

    • James Mallory says:

      I sent my amended return and it’s been months but the wmar tells me that my information don’t match their records do that mean that my refund has already been mailed out! !

    • admin says:

      James –

      Thank you for your question. You should never guess what something means – when you are in doubt, call 1-866-464-2050 for the status of an amended return.

      Donna H. Laubscher, CPA

  2. perla says:

    I mailed my amended tax return 1 week ago because someone claimed my dependent, (my son) so my e-file got rejected. The dad doesnt do his taxes since he doesnt work and nobody from my family or his claimed hi. I asked the irs if they can tell me who claimed my son, they said they could not! Anyways, i havent received any letter through mail telling me anything about my amended tax return! How long is the wait? And when will they send me a letter tellin me ehats going to happen

    • admin says:

      Hi, Perla-

      Regarding the timing of an amended return – the IRS has no specific deadlines on how long it can take. I am assuming from your email that in order to electronically file your return, you removed your son as a dependent and then resubmitted the efile? And then did an amended return to add him back in? In my experience, amended returns can take several months or more for the IRS to process. If you live in a state with an income tax, you should also have amended your state income tax return.

      Thanks for your question,
      Donna H. Laubscher, CPA

    • Christi says:

      Good afternoon,

      I sent in my amended return with delivery confirmation during the first week of February 2014 and I received the confirmation showing that it was received by the IRS on February 20, 2014. I have been checking the “Where’s My Amended Return?” tool and each time it says that my information does not match their records. Please let me know how I can confirm that my amended return is being processed and how I can track the status.


    • admin says:

      Hi, Christi,

      The IRS has no specific time frame on how long they have to process amended income tax returns. If it is not showing electronically on the status, you may need to call them and see if they can give you an estimate of when your amended return will be processed.

      Donna H. Laubscher, CPA

  3. […] Once three weeks have passed you can check the status of your amended return by using a new tool on  See more information about that here.  […]

  4. S Myles says:

    When I dial the 800 number, it states that form was received 12 April 13 and is processing. When I verify status online, it stated that the information does not match??? Very confusing, but whom can one speak with for clarification?


    • admin says:

      You will need to get through to someone at the IRS to determine the status. Call the 1-866-464-2050 number and just wait on through the hold times as you wait for an IRS representative. Good luck.

      Donna H. Laubscher, CPA

    • Nicole says:

      Hello I’m getting a Red Action Required note and call so and so #. I call and the rep says nothing is needed its still processing. Do you have any info on this?

    • admin says:

      Nicole –

      Unfortunately since we are not the IRS, there is nothing we can do. If you refer to the comments section of the Amended Return Status blog post, you will find a list of numbers and email addresses for you to try and get help or more information on your situation. Since you are not a client and we are unfamiliar with your situation, we cannot comfortably give you any information regarding your situation. Hopefully the phone numbers will at least help you get in touch with someone who can. Thank you again for reading the blog and good luck!

      Henry & Horne

  5. Princess Haynes says:

    I just looked up the information about my amended return because I didn’t file my school information when I did my taxes because I was told that IRS was not taking it at that time and that I had to wait until March to file it. Anyways I looked it up and it stated that the IRS needed more information and was going to be send something in the mail for me to send that information back. I have not recieved anything in the mail and was wondering if someone could tell me what other information is needed because I provided the tax agent with the form that I recieved from my school for it and don’t know what else could be needed but I want to get it in as soon as possible. I have been waiting on my amended return and am just finding out that there was something that was missing. Could you please look into it and let me know what else is needed so that I can send it in.

    • admin says:

      Hi Princess,

      It is impossible for us to look into a specific issue on a return for you. Even for a client of the firm, we would need a power of attorney, a copy of the tax return and any notices that you have received. Good luck with your amended return. If you were notified that something is missing on your return, there should be a phone number listed that you could call and determine what it is that you are missing.

      Donna H. Laubscher, CPA

  6. Andrea Allen says:

    I have gotten the same message but I called the IRS and the Rep. said it would be sent out on April 4, 2013, I had just sent it on March 1, 2013. So I also had another amended tax return to mail off, I know its wishful thinking that it will take a month like the first one, but it did show up in the system after a week, so now I’m just waiting. I don’t know how I got the first one back so fast but maybe it depends on who’s doing the work.

  7. Julie says:

    Make sure you are allowing atleast three weeks to pass before you try to check on the website. I found this out today. It can take atleast three weeks before the return shows up in the IRS system. Once it shows up in their system, you should be able to get a status update online.

  8. Laura Smith says:

    I too tried both the website and the phone number. Is there some kind of magic that you have Donna? I get the “technical difficulties” on line and I get the “call back when you have all the information”. Very frustrating. We sent our amended form the first couple days of March and we know it was received because we did USPS confirmation.

    • admin says:

      Laura –

      I apologize to all of you that are having problems with the IRS website. Unfortunately all I can do is provide you the website and phone numbers that I have for the IRS and hope that eventually they get their technical difficulties figured out and you all get the information you need. I wish I had some sort of magic trick to make it all easier (I could use it myself during tax season!). Keep trying and good luck!

      Donna Laubscher, CPA

  9. Sue says:

    Hello –

    I too have been trying, since the 15th via the phone number and email and I am getting no where. When I call, it seems as though status will be checked, but then I hear “please call back when you have…..” well I had all the required info; and as for web, I keep receiving a technical difficulty message! UGH

  10. Brittany Warren says:

    I have been trying to track the status of my amended return since March 1st 2013 and still it says that the automated system is down. When will I be able to check my amended return?