Amended Tax Returns – What is the Status?Posted on February 21 2013 by admin
If you have been perusing the instructions for the amended individual tax return (Form 1040X), you have probably seen something quite exciting.
What, you say?! You have not looked at the instructions for Form 1040X? Could that be because the instructions for Form 1040, which would always need to be filed first, were not posted to the IRS website until January 25, 2013? Whereas, the instructions for Form 1040X, which is used when you need to correct a return that has already been filed with the IRS, were posted on January 13, 2013.
Anyway, the excitement. Beginning in March 2013 (which will be here before we all realize it, I am sure), you can track the status of your amended return using a new web or toll-free application.
You will be able to go to IRS.gov and click on “Where’s My Amended Return?” or call 1-866-464-2050. With either application, you will need to provide your taxpayer identification number (for most this is your social security number), you date of birth and your zip code.
This appears to be very similar to the older version of “Where’s My Refund?” which has been very useful on the IRS website for a number of years. As mentioned in a post on January 15, 2013, this tool will be even more helpful this year (IRS Improves “Where’s My Refund?”)
While you probably do not want to amend your tax return, this new application to track the status can ease some concerns about the receipt of the amended return by the IRS.
By Donna H. Laubscher, CPA
There is nothing more complex than the world of taxes. We know this and yet we chose careers where we face these issues everyday. We get questions day in and day out about new tax laws, forms and news items and how they affect everyday people and businesses. Well, here at Henry & Horne, LLP we have set out to do what we do best; help everyday people understand what is going on in the world of state, local, federal, estate and international taxation. We will provide these weekly posts and we encourage you to give us feedback on those posts as well as letting us know what else you would like to know more about. Welcome to "Tax Insights." We hope you find this blog informative and worthy of your time.
Before posting a comment on a blog post please be aware that we do not give free tax advice to non-clients by email, comment response, or phone. Thank you!
- Taxes, Interest and Carrying Charges – Election to Capitalize
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit – You May Still Qualify for 2014
- Do you own an Arizona Rental House? Get Ready to be Licensed
- WARNING – Federal Healthcare Coverage Information May be Incorrect
- Write Off Your Building Improvements under the Safe Harbor for Small Taxpayers
- What is a Real Estate Unit of Property?
- How to Deduct Recurring Maintenance? The Routine Maintenance Safe Harbor
- Materials and Supplies – IRS Guidance on How to Deduct
- Expense Your Property under the De Minimis Safe Harbor
- Arizona – To Conform or Not to Conform to Tax Legislation?